Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Baked chicken and eggplant (Κοτόπουλο και μελιτζάνες στο φούρνο)

Having a summer garden in Crete means that you do not need to go food shopping very often. Apart from the money you save, the dishes you cook can be as creative as you want them to be. You sometimes don't know what will come out of the cooking vessel, because the combination of ingredients used may be unique, even to the cook, and the dish won't even have an internationally recognisable name to it. It'll just be a creative part of the Cretan kitchen.

eggplant aubergine

I had recently made some papoutsakia and moussaka with the fresh harvest of eggplant from our summer garden, which all went into the deep freeze for that rainy winter's day when there won't be so much fresh food or time to cook these fiddly dishes. There were some eggplants left over and I really needed to clear the fridge to make some more space for more fresh harvest, zucchini, as usual, being the most productive. Kiki recently helped me out in making an aubergine specialty from Zakinthos, but there are still too many aubergines leftover!

I had already boiled some chicken to make some stock for pilafi, a favorite Greek children's meal (whereas eggplant doesn't win so much favour among children until a later age). Plain boiled chicken is never very appetising on its own; it is usually used to make another dish. As I was toying with some ideas about how I was going to use up the boiled chicken and the excess aubergine crop, I came up with this winning dish, which I made up as I cooked.


baked chicken and eggplant

To make enough to feed 2-3 hungry people (or 4 small portions), you need
4 large pieces of boiled chicken
2 large aubergines
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
half a can of tomato pulp (I used my own home-made tomato sauce)
salt and pepper
oregano (optional)
olive oil

Chop the onion and garlic finely. Slice the aubergine thickly and chop into cubes. Heat some oil in a wide pot and saute the onion and garlic till transparent. Add the eggplant and saute on high heat. Eggplant soaks up olive oil faster than other vegetables, so you will need to add more to the pan (unless you don't want to for health reasons - but beware: the sticky aubergine will cause a burning mess in your pan). Cook till the eggplant is brown but still firm. Add the tomato pulp and season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce cook away for 15 minutes. 

Place the chicken in a small tapsi (a round roasting pan often used in Greek cooking) and season with salt, pepper and oregano (if using). When the sauce is ready, pour it over the chicken and add some more liquid (an oil/water mix in the ratios you prefer; a veritable Cretan adds more oil than water) to make a sauce as runny as you like. I probably added 2/3 of a cup. Place the dish in the oven and cook for half an hour, which is just enough time for the flavours to blend.


It would have been nice to have a photo of the plated dish, but it was so delicious, it just got eaten too quickly - nevertheless, look at who it inspired!

To serve, ladle out a piece of chicken and place it on a bed of rice (like pilafi). Then pour some of the vegetable sauce over the rice and chicken. Serve with crusty bread, a green salad and some chilled white wine. Pure ambrosia.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

9 comments:

  1. MMmm...my mouth is watering Maria. Very inventive! I always find chicken needs a little "pick me up" when cooking. A potiri of krasi, some psomi and I would be set! Oh and some elies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, I've downloaded to print out and give to Richard, chief chef at the Hotel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a creative cook Maria. I would never turn down a chicken dish....ever:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do envy you the garden and the home grown vegetables - I only have windowsills here, nothing at all I can plant outside. I have never been able to get to like aubergines, though, apart from thinly sliced ones, fried crip and served immediately. They always seem like oil-soaked cotton wool otherwise. Do you think this dish would work with tomatoes instead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use to grill the eggplants - from my mom's garden - and keep them in the freezer until we need them, mainly for the winter. We make mousaka, rolls with feta cheese and sometimes papoustakia with a sause "ala Marina"...that means whatever I have in my frige:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent idea. The dish will be so much lighter than cooking the aubergines with beef which is the tradition. The trick for the augergine to avoid absorbing so much oil when frying either in slices or cubes is to soak them in salted water for a couple of hours. It draws out all the bitter juices and it makes a huuuge difference when frying as I have discovered all the times I did not bother soaking them. Do not rinse the aubergines after you soaked them just squeeze them well.

    For crispy fried aubergine slices, slice them thinly and after the soaking and squeezing, coat the slices in flour, dip them for a second in water and then into the frying pan. You do the same with courgette slices only you omit the soaking and you just salt them and leave them to stand for a while before squeezing and frying. It's a lot of work because you do one slice at a time but worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would also like to give an aubergine recipe that I remember from my grandma in Serres and I haven't come acrosss it again. You need slender but ripe ubergines, you cut 3-4 slits lengthwise and stuff them with garlic cloves, salt and oregano. You fry the stuffed aubergines in their skins and then you simmer them in tomato sause. We used to call it imam baildi and it is different from the usual imam baildi recipe with the fried onions.

    The previous tips are from my mother-in-law who is from Konstantinople.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful eggplants from your garden. And an utterly scrumptious looking and "ingredients" looking dish. You've inspired me to make stock from shole chicken pieces more often (then from already cooked bones and skin). Now I know how to make the cooked chicken flesh delectable!

    ReplyDelete