Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 19 March 2010

The traveller's breakfast (Πρωϊνό για τους ταξιδιώτες)

This post forms part of the series of our culinary adventures from our recent trip to Paris and London.

After searching the various online hotel booking sites and reading the reviews of the super-cheap hotels that I intended to book my family into, I did not expect much from the budget accommodation that we eventually checked into. What lured me to both my Paris and London hotels was the price on both counts, with the added bonus that breakfast was included in the price of the room. When travelling in cold countries with young children, it's really important for them to find a warm meal to start the day off. We stayed in one four-bedded room in each city for four nights. I'm running on Greek euro: it looks the same as the rest of Europe's euros, but Greeks are supposed to have some of the lowest salaries in the EU. I couldn't afford to spend much more than the cheapest hotels I found in each city: 100 euro per night (breakfast included) in Paris, and 68 pounds (approx. 76 euro) per night (breakfast included) in London.

supplies
I came prepared...

I had read that the rooms were small, so we took only two suitcases. I had also read that the breakfast was 'only tea/coffee and bread/butter' so I packed some paximadia and a few clementine oranges in our bags in case we got peckish. I had nightmares about the 'filthy' bathrooms and 'dirty' floors and bedding. One of the hotels had even managed to make it into the 'top most dirtiest' in the UK. I had been warned, so I came prepared. I couldn't afford to be fussy - I only wanted a warm bed for the night, a place to keep myself clean, and a bite to munch on in the morning, and we all know the saying that 'beggars can't be choosers'.

breakfast in paris
If I had to choose which one was better between the two, I'd say that in my breakfasts in Paris (above) were of higher quality with more atmosphere than those of London (below).
breakfast in london

To our pleasant surprise, the rooms in both hotels were always warm, the bathrooms were spacious (in contrast to the previous London hotel I stayed in), there was no mould or bed bugs as promised by other reviewers of the same hotels, and I would gladly stay again in either of them. The staff were also very polite, and responded to all our requests. The breakfasts were basically the same in both of them: juice, tea/coffee/milk, cornflakes, butter and jam to spread on your bread. The only difference was in the quality of the bread - in London, hotel bread is always a thin square sponge that is palatable when toasted, while in Paris, it's a crusty petit pain and/or a buttery croissant.

Hotel breakfasts are a part of the international cuisine: you know what to expect of them. Funnily enough, the French don't actually butter their baguettes, preferring them plain. We saw many people munching on them in Paris as they walked along the street in the afternoons, without any filling; far more healthy than the McDonalds packed meals people often seemed to be buying in London just as soon as they stepped on or off the tube. The weight difference between Parisians and Londoners was highly evident.

aegean air breakfast
Bacon and eggs, fresh fruit, a muesli bar, bread rolls with butter 'n jam, and a hot drink: Aegean Airlines' answer to the traditional English breakfast.

And since we had an early morning start on the first day of our travel, we also got a chance to experience the flying world's answer to breakfast - more international fare.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your time away Maria and that the hotels were not "filthy hovels". Sometimes those review sites are a little off the mark...I think the Parisian breakfast sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No comparison between English & French breakfasts. France wins hands down. Many years ago when on my first OE & staying in budget accommodation I was able to compare both. I was pleasantly surprised by the Paris breakfast, after the drear London example. It was similar to the one you've posted, only we got a larger baguette & cheese as well. Very handy to eat just half at breakfast & take the rest to munch on during the walkabout around that fabulous city. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The French brekkie with that croissant looks far more appetizing than that London slice of bread. I bet you'll snear at those croissants offered at the periptero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting information. Enjoy your weekend dear Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. British bread is so lousy! Just as with every other food item here, if you want quality you have to seek it out and pay through the nose for it, and it becomes a middle-class preoccupation rather than a simple pleasure for everyone. A posh 'artisan' bakery has opened here where I live, and while it lasts (not long, I suspect) they are charging three times what you'd pay for the spongy stuff with the scorched-nylon crust at Morrisons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stayed in a hostel in Athens with my sister last year, a budget affair at 15E per night with breakfast included,so wasnt expecting much. The showers were hot and clean and we had as much breakfast as we could eat, square 'English' bread - toasted, orange juice, butter, jam, boiled eggs, oranges and coffee. we squirreled away the boiled eggs and oranges and managed a tasty picnic lunch too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for mentioning the greek breakfast alex - the best cheap hotel breakfast i ever had was at the rex in thessaloniki: 85 euro per night for the four of us, and the breakfast included the regular global hotel brekkie stuff, as well as cakes, yoghurt, biscuits, spoon sweets, and canned fruit

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really depends on the hotel you're staying in... I've had a bad experience with brekkie in Paris (no breakfast at the hotel, and the only place found open at those morning hours was a bar where they served us a day-old potato omelette and a slice of apple pie)- while I've had, on the other hand, one of the tastiest brekkies ever in a London hotel - and both the hotels cost more or less the same.

    Nice to have you back Maria. Looking forward to more stories from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Σήμερα διάβασα και την προηγούμενη ανάρτηση σου! Χρήσιμες πληροφορίες και όμορφες εικόνες! Χαίρομαι που περάσατε καλά!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, but this breakfast is far better than the one provided in "upscale" Greek hotels! Funny though how much more expensive the Paris cheap hotel is than London!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great that you found a Paris hotel with an edible inclusive breakfast. So often you have to pay extra. I am thinking of going to Paris soon and your hotel looks pretty good. The exchange rate between the British pound and the euro is so bad right now I would be looking to save on accommodation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm very appreciative of cheap hotels that offer a good breakfast - i never spend time in the room, so i dont really care how modern it is or how much space i had to walk around with my suitcase on the floor - i just want an en suite to keep myself clean, a warm room and a comfortable bed!

    ReplyDelete