Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 25 February 2010

Ginger crunch (Mπισκότο με γεύση πιπερόριζα)

This is not a sign of homesickness - if you like ginger crunch as much as I do, you have to make it yourself if you live in Crete in order to eat it, because you won't find it anywhere else. It's delicious during cooler weather. My husband likens it to a chewier version of the traditional Greek melomakarono (a spicy Christmas syrup-steeped biscuit).

ginger crunch ginger slice
Ginger crunch hardens as it cools, which is why you have to cut it into slices when it is still warm. When cool, it tastes like a crisp spicy biscuit with a chewy topping.

Ginger was once an unknown quantity in Crete. The powdered form is still not always available in the spice racks on supermarket shelves, despite the abundance of something labelled "Madras curry powder", something I find disconcerting; if curry powder mix is so popular in a place like Crete, it's a pity that people don't know that they can buy each spice separately and mix their own curry, creating the taste and heat they specifically like. All the spices needed to make a curry spice blend are available at the Agora.

ginger

Fresh ginger has become a more standard product since the influx of economic migrants to Crete. Now that people are travelling more, even the locals are buying it, but I still don't know what they are cooking with it: I only use it when I make curries and stir-fries, as it hasn't yet permeated the Greek taste spectrum. Having said that, ginger is well known on the island of Kerkira, which is the only place in Greece where ginger beer is made, a tradition adopted during the 19th century British rule of the island.

The Chelsea Sugar site where I got my recipe for ginger crunch* also has lots of other recipes for favorite kiwi tea-time treats, biscuits and 'slice' cakes, including afghans, gingernuts and Anzac biscuits, all of which I need to remind myself to cook up at least once more before the end of the colder weather.

* This dessert can be made lenten by replacing the butter with margarine.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

14 comments:

  1. Not to get all Australian on you..."how about I put the kettle on so we can have a cuppa?". They look divine Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like something I would enjoy with a cup of tea or my new favourite Iced Chai Latte.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm...have u made gingernuts too?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds and looks delicious! Perfect for teatime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger is very good for you and I like it both sweet and savory applications.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great Maria! I have become a big fan of ginger as of late and these little biscuits are a wonderful way to use this healthy ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make tea with the fresh ginger it is great for upset tummy.
    Sue.M

    ReplyDelete
  8. that seems yummmm

    great to have you comment on my post after ages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Maria..
    I've copied it out because I think this is going to be a favourite....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made these for years, always called Ginger Shortbread. One of our favorites, especially around Christmas. Or, anytime really.
    Also, fresh ginger is great in a tisane if you've got an upset stomach or a cold coming on. With the added bonus of tasting really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love ginger in sweets and these look like a real treat with a cup of coffee or tea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep! They disappeared very quickly...I guess I'll have to make another batch..haha! Enjoy your travels..not quite sure where you're going??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's a tip I think you might like :) Fresh ginger can be used to make ginger tea. Ginger tea is great for digestion both before and after meals. It is also good to drink if you have a cold or a soar throat. If you are feeling a little cold, it is a very warming tea. To make the tea cut off a piece of ginger about the size of your thumb. Take that piece and slice it into thin pieces. Put the ginger in a tea pot or even a bowl and add 4 cups of boiling water. Let it steep for 5 minutes and enjoy. I make a pot in the morning and keep adding hot water to the same ginger. As the day goes on, the ginger gets stronger. If you have fresh lemons, you can peel off the yellow zest and add that to the ginger and hot water. That is also delicious. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete