Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Sunday 27 December 2009

Spetsofai (Σπετζοφάι)

Here's a well-known Greek sausage hotpot, from the region of Pelion. We had a nice version of this dish during our short stay in the region. This dish uses up soft tomatoes and scraggly peppers which are coming in at the tail end of the summer garden season; very soon, none of these plants will be producing any more crops.

You need:
a few tablespoons (at your will) of olive oil
a few bell peppers, preferably in all colours (I used about 18 distorted peppers from our garden; the number of peppers is not important - the more you add, the more this dish stretches)
3-4 soft ripe tomatoes
6 medium sausages (spicy ones are the best for this dish)
1-2 large onions (I particularly like onions, which is why I use a lot - you can also add leeks)
1 small teaspoon of tomato paste (I used Thai red curry paste, for a spunkier taste)
salt and pepper (if the sausages you use aren't very spicy, you can add spices like cumin, oregano, fresh garlic, chili)

spetsofai ingredients

Heat the oil and brown the sausages in it. Remove the sausages when done. Now add the thickly sliced onions and roughly chopped peppers. Saute till wilted, stirring constantly so that they don't fry or burn. Add the grated tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. While this mixture is blending in the pot on low heat, the sausages will have cooled down; chop them into medium sized slices and add them to the stew. The hotpot is ready when the sauce has thickened to a desired consistency.

spetsofai

Serve on a bed of rice (I made a delicious pilafi) or mashed potatos, with a green salad and some bread to mop up the sauce. And bring on the cold beer!

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

7 comments:

  1. This is a great reacipe. I bet that Foti wold love it. I want to try this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, looks good. My mum makes a mix she calls "splosh" where the only fixed ingredients are canned tomatoes and sausages, and you splosh in any other veggies you have around. Your Greek version with peppers sounds yummy, especially with the curry paste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I had Spetsofai was in nearby Volos in 1980...loved the dish then and enjoy to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, & tasty to. I love these stick to the ribs kind of dishes, you can eat it again the next day! Thank you so much for sharing! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of a Spanish recipe I've cooked. All delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so good Maria. I'll have to buy all the ingredients as none are in my garden right now, but will be worth it, I'm sure. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious Maria! Greek comfort food of sorts ... and a cold beer is a must!

    ReplyDelete