Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Wednesday 16 September 2009

Taverna 'O Kipouros' - The Gardener (Ταβέρνα 'Ο Κηπουρός)

Children can't make healthy choices when offered less healthy but much tastier choices. That's final. Here's a little experiment I conducted on some children I was entertaining at my house during the summer.

I had set up a play date for my children. Their friend was invited to our house where all the children had free reign over the garden, the living room, the balconies and the children's bedroom (yes, Dad was away), and they could do as they pleased as long as they had the stamina for it. It went on for much longer than I expected, but at least they had their fun, and they even tidied up afterwards, so I really can't complain.

During the afternoon, which stretched out into the evening, they would also have a home-cooked meal. I was in the middle of a cooking marathon, as I had just picked a whole lot of garden-fresh vegetables and had to find ways to use them for the next meal or preserve them.

vlita bush a busy day in the garden... _3778078_4326768_n

Cooked vlita will keep in the fridge for a week. There were too many tomatoes to store in the fridge, so I had to make them into tomato sauce for the winter. My uncles gave me some fresh black-eyed runner beans, which would constitute the next day's meal.

fresh black-eyed runner beans
All this fresh food had to be processed into something edible or useful.
... and another busy day in the kitchen

This meant that I was cooking for preservation, cooking for the next day's meal, and cooking for the play-date meal, so there would be a lot of food for the children to choose from.

First up, a healthy glass of orange juice, followed by a couple of home-made biscuits. My daughter began to scoff them up.

"You'll get rotten teeth if you eat too many," our guest warned her. Sometimes children need to be told the bad news by their peers, and indeed this worked on her.

When it came to the actual sit-down meal, I wrote out the menu for them and left some space next to each item so that they could write their initials to indicate their choice.

The menu was listed in the following way:
MENU - INITIALS
1. Horta
2. Fasolakia yiahni
3. Greek salad - CD
4. Souvlakia - CD AD OR
5. Biftekia - CD AD
6. Oven-fried potatoes - CD AD OR
7. Bread - AD OR
8. Water
9. Lemonade - CD AD OR
10. Watermelon - CD AD OR

No one chose horta or beans, and only one chose salad. When the actually sat down to eat what they ordered, they discovered that the taste of the biftekia 'burgers' was not meaty (they were actually courgette burgers), so they left them on the side of their plate. The souvlaki disappeared and so did the chips. Lemonade was preferred over water.

taverna o kipouros

The most interesting part of this 'restaurant game' was the comments the children made:

- You forgot the paper towels.
- Could we have some ice, please?
- What about desert?
- Can you please bring us the bill, Ma'am?
- Mmm, delicious, we'll come again.

I'm looking forward to doing this again, but this time with fewer choices on a mainly vegetarian menu, and a signed agreement that if they choose the meal, they'll have to eat it all...

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

10 comments:

  1. LOL! What a great experiment! I'm going to try this with my nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they left you a big tip! You are such a fun mama. I'll be the kids had a great time. Love all your bags of produce too. We haven't had a hard frost yet, so my kitchen table is overrun with peppers and beans and green tomatoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun exercise - no surprise no one wanted the veggies?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed imagining Christine and Aris playing the restaurant game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this game...Your agreement with them is clever regarding eating all the food they order next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a brilliant idea! What a fun mom you are, and I bet the kids had a great time! I love your produce; I'm so envious of your green peppers. Mine were a flop this year. Your zucchini looks wonderful, too. It's a different type than what is most common over here. Ours is a very, very dark solid shade of green. I love the site of your stove with all the wonderful, yummy food. Plus, I really like that large pot you have, the one with the tomato sauce in it. Hope all is going well with the kids' school. Looking forward to hearing about the next play date at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not at all surprised that kids didn't choose any of the healthy options. I didn't like vegetables myself until I was 20 years old, but having them so often in my house I think it was kinda natural I would turn out to love them growing up. We should also bear in mind though that kids always choose highly caloric foods, not only because they are unhealthy, but because they actually need the energy. Of course it is much better to eat home made souvlaki or biscuits, than general junk food, even if it is of the same caloric value.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like they liked the restaurant game. The eating contract is sneaky idea. I had to laugh that they didn't eat the veggie burgers, so it will be interesting to see how the next experiment goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL...I admit, as a child I would have probably also chosen the less healthy meal options. Regardless, your children are far ahead of their peers when it comes to their diet (and they will thank you later).

    ReplyDelete