Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 29 May 2009

Za'atar (Ζατάρ)

The students at MAICh are usually young people of Mediterranean origin (with a sprinkling of Northern Europeans). Most nationalities are well-represented numerically, so each country can form a group within the larger context and organise an ethnic night during the year, in which traditional food from their country is served, along with a presentation of their country's customs, music and dance.

Recently, it was Lebanese night at MAICh. The students prepared the meals themselves, with a bit of help from their mothers, who sent them some food parcels. I wasn't able to attend the soiree, but I was lucky to get some of the leftovers.

greek oregano za'atar lebanese spice mix
Left: Greek oregano being grown as a potted plant; right: home-made za'atar
za'atar lebanese spice mix

Zaatar is a spice mixture made with Origanum syriacum, a very fragrant aromatic herb growing wild in Lebanon, similar (but not quite!) to the Greek oregano; it has a different growth structure, and a slightly different aroma. Great importance is attached to it among the local crops in the Lebanese market due to its regular use in daily cooking. It is grown and harvested, then roasted in a special way with some sumac and sesame seeds. The dry mixture keeps a long time in an airtight container. It is combined with oil and spread over Lebanese flatbread, and then eaten as is, or slightly grilled for a nuttier taste. Apparently, everyone in Lebanon has this at some point every day.

This was given to me by one of my students, prepared by her own mother in Lebanon. We tried it with our regular bread from the local baker's. It made an interesting alternative to our psomi me ladi. If you want to make some za'atar yourself, try Laurie's recipe.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

7 comments:

  1. What a coincidence, I had Zatar last week in Dubai, I think I'll go and check out how it's concocted, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen so many versions of this (including the spelling!...LOL!). Thanks for the info on the herb used for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, sure, you may use the pictures you asked for in my blog. Thanks for asking!

    Zaatar is pretty popular in Arabic culture. It is very tasty on warm bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks spicy and delicious- I've not had Zaatar before, so I did go read about it! Very interesting. indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Israel we have za'atar all the time. Yum.
    Thanks for your story. And thanks for the link to Laurie where I finally find the right English words I need for translating food names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love za'atar. It's great on flatbread like you mentioned and I also love using some oil & lemon juice with zaatar as a marinade. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of za'atar but have not tasted it. Thank you for the link to Laurie's recipe!

    ReplyDelete