Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 19 December 2008

Psares (Ψαρές)

Here's a salad green I haven't had in a long while. In Crete, we call it 'psares' (ψαρές), meaning 'whiskers', because of the curly tendrils growing out of the leaves and stem of the plant. Its scientific name is Lathyrus ochrus, a member of the pea family. It is often called chickling, vetch or pale pea. It is sold in large bunches for a euro, and is always used raw as a salad, with a vinegary taste. It can be eaten like lettuce, with a little olive oil, lemon juice and salt, or added to another tasty salad as I have done (with kohlrabi, carrot and olives, flavoured with balsamic vinegar), taking the place of lettuce.

Psares are commonly eaten during fasting periods in the Greek Orthodox church. The forty days before Christmas are included among these fasting periods, even though it isn't so common nowadays for people to fast the whole 40-day period. Although not considered a festive green, it's commonly eaten, mainly by those who grow it, in the period preceding Christmas. Its growing season is long; I've seen it in fields in March, meaning that it's also eaten before Easter during the Great Lent.

psares and kohlrabi salad

Psares are available right throughout the winter at the open-air markets in my town and the fresh counters in the local supermarket. They are grown locally, but not commonly found in meals. Believe it or not, this slightly bitter green makes a significant contribution to the daily diet: it contains 140mg of vitamin C in 100g of fresh product, where an orange has about 50mg per 100g. Stamnagathi, one of my favorite winter greens, contains a mere 27mg per 100g of fresh product. Psares also contain high amounts of Vitamin K (good for the blood), lutein (beneficial for the eyes) and β-carotene (which has many advantages), making them a very useful leafy green in their growing season.

psares psares

A really good site for more information about this and other wild greens of Crete is ASXETOS - use the google translator if you can't read Greek. Psares are also added to a traditional but rather old-fashioned Cretan bean salad (again, you need the google translator).

This is my contribution to the Holiday Herb Blogging event run by Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Haalo herself at Cook almost anything (at least once).

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

16 comments:

  1. After seeing the photo we definietly don't have these available here in Canada unless someone is growing them in their garden somewhere. I may still have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, these look like Mache greens (not sure if they are the same) but I luv me my bitter greens with olive oil, scallions, dill, lemon juice and some Feta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mache greens can’t be psares. Mache is a kind of Valerianella (a kind of lettuce), whereas psares is a kind of Lathyrus (related to the pea).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I've never come across these before. Your top salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW I have never seen this type of green in Athens Mar;ia, but I will definitely seek it out! I love bitter greens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not familiar with this vegetable, but it looks like it's very healthy just like other green leaf vegetables.

    I really enjoy your posts. So, there is an award for you in my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We call them "Papoules" in south Heraklion, I know not why. So close, yet so many different names for things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, is this what we call papoules, you know what my spelling and pronunciation is like.I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. papoules, exactly right!
    i was in rethimno over the weekend, only an hour away from hania, so many similar food items, such different names!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen these before. I like vinegar, so I'm sure I'd like these. I love the green look of your salad; I miss my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healthy salad,never spotted those kind of greens here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Note to self: "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wild greens."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria,
    Your culture eats so healthy I love it. This greens dish with the olives is making me so hungry. Can I come over to eat? Ha!

    I am having a greens contest over at my blog. Come and join me: http://www.becomingwhole.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/01/my-best-vegan-chili.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. p.s. Maria,
    These last two "greens" posts are wonderful. I've added a link to your blog at the end of my post today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live in Crete for the past 2 years and have come to love and appreciate the wide variety of greens available here - Tsimoulia, Antidia, Roka, and now Papoules.... what a paradise Crete is!!

    ReplyDelete