Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Saturday 11 October 2008

Other people's food: Sicilian cauliflower pasta (Σικελιανή μακαρονάδα με κουνουπίδι)

We were recently treated to a meal so extravagantly different to the kind of food we usually cook. My neighbourhood does not seem very multicultural at first sight, but one of our neighbours is not actually Greek; she settled here with her Greek spouse, after leaving her native Italy. Eventually, her parents moved out here too, after leaving their native Sicily, although they moved to Rome at a young age. Susanna enjoys looking at our thriving garden while she herself is pottering about in her own. She reminds me of my own gardening interests before I moved out of my bachelor pad (some would say it was an old maid's house); she's into flower gardening, while we are pretty much vegetable gardeners. We often give her aubergines which she uses to make pasta alla Norma, her favorite summer pasta dish, and no wonder, given its Sicilian origins.


Sicilian food and culture is incredibly similar to Cretan food and culture. The Mediterranean diet, well known all over the world, was based on the diets of both these islands. Read what Diana Serbe has to say about Sicilian food and culture, and simply replace the words 'Sicily' and 'Italy' with Crete' and 'Greece': the statements will have exactly the same ring of truth about them:
"To have seen Italy without having seen Sicily, is not to have seen Italy at all" (Goethe). They came, they saw, they conquered: the Greeks, Romans, Arabs...When the Greeks saw the island of Sicily, they fell in love, sent their fleets, and set up colonies. The Romans saw what the Greeks had, fought them for it, and became the new conquerors. The Arabs saw what the Romans had, fought them for it, and put the island under their dominion...
Who would not fall in love with a country where even at night vegetables are "gleaming forth on the dark air, under the lamps." (D. H. Lawrence, Sea and Sardinia)? But what effect did such varied conquest have on Sicilian cooking? On the habits of the people? On the language?
Sicily is a large island of varied climate. There are subtropical areas growing prickly pears in abundance; every form of citrus is grown in Sicily - lemons, oranges, blood oranges... The quality of the vegetables gives a clue to the dishes of Sicily. Since their vegetables are of superior taste and quality, no Sicilian would defile them by creating complex dishes that mask the fresh flavor of their ingredients. Simplicity allows the pure taste of the vegetables to emerge. This is a key attitude to cooking, prevalent all over Sicily."
When we see each other from our own side of the fence, Susanna and I often talk about the food we cook with the garden produce. She recently asked us what all the new green plantlets are: broccoli, spinach, cabbage and cauliflower. Cauliflower, she tells me, is the main ingredient in her favorite winter pasta dish. She made some the other day and offered us a plate. The range of ingredients used in this pasta is really quite incredible. I would never have thought to combine these ingredients in one meal, and I would never have put it in my mind that such a dish could exist.

home made pasta rome anchovies cauliflower saffran raisins

I googled the ingredients she told us she used to make this pasta sauce, and sure enough, a number of Italian recipes came up using exactly the same ingredients that she herself used to make this exotic-looking dish: cauliflower, anchovies, saffron, pine nuts and raisins. And of course, like all good Italian cooks, she made the pasta herself.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Maria! I've just been looking around your blog and having a good read about your life in Crete. As an old neighbour of yours (I'm an Aussie!) it's wonderful to find people who have made a life for themselves in Greece. I look forward to reading more. As for the cauliflower pasta, I agree...sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful pasta dish and glad you enjoyed this Sicilian dish. Sicilians cook much like Greeks and due to it's location in the Mediterranean, it's food picked up influences from trade, various occupations and influences over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so good. :( i love cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maria! My family hails from the Calabria region of Italy (the toe that's right next to Sicily), and boy oh boy do I see a lot of Greek influence on the cuisine in my heritage! This pasta is very similar to something that I ate growing up, and looking at your picture makes me want to reach through the screen and devour it! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic. I love cauliflower! By the way, I have a little ward for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks absolutely delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading this before dinner and would LOVE a big plate of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I'll catch up on your other blog soon. Right now I'm just trying to somewhat keep up with e-mail, which leads me to this one. I love cauliflower and only recently heard of a pasta dish using it. Must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dish must be particular to Sicily, because I have never heard of it. I live on the mainland in Puglia and noone here would add raisins to their pasta! Actually it sounds wonderful...I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete