Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 26 September 2008

Our kitchen (Η κουζίνα μας)

A lot of people showed great interest in my response to the NY Times article on the Mediterranean diet. Thanks for the positive feedback. Here's my kitchen (on a good day):

CIMG4821

And here's what we keep posted on our kitchen wall:

CIMG4913
(a map of Europe dated 1897; a map of modern Europe; the school calendar; the many wonders of the world - not just the ancient seven; the food pyramid)

I'm sure this is just a normal way to educate children in the Western world. In Greece, you will often be asked if the paint comes off the walls when you take the posters down, and how easy it is to wipe away the sellotape or gum tack marks.

"How should I know?" I reply. "I've never taken them down!"

We welcome all donations of educational posters...

10 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL kitchen!
    have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kitchens that are living spaces and not "vitrines". No wonder why you produce such lovely meals. yours is a kitchen of love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Modern kitchen and do like the maps and food pyramid. The kitchen is an important meeting and discussion area for family & friends.

    I'm in awe of families that say nothing during a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sneak peak into your kitchen where all those wonderful foods come alive:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the sunlight streaming into your kitchen! I feel like I know you so much better now after seeing where you prepare all those wonderful meals!

    I think your map wall is terrific! I really like the one called the Wonders of the World (I think that's what my aging eye's read!)I love comparing old maps to new ones, too! We also have maps and teaching guides all over our walls. The remaining walls have the kids art work on them.

    Ok, I'm going to hit the publish button now ... let's hope this works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that looks like a kitchen that's lived-in rather than just shown off!

    Thanks for the little peek - I must admit I'm so nosy, I always love having a look at other peoples' places!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks bright and shiny! A perfect place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Your counters look like mine... full everything that I need! Currently we have a calendar on the kitchen wall. We only have one wall for those things as we sport the salon-kouzina layout. But...the lap top is always on the table and that's where we do a lot of our learning. Again, love it~!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the kitchen table is also our homework table - i haven't yet invested in desks for each child, and i can see there is no point at the moment. the kitchen is where we eat, cook, learn, and create. i love it too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your wall of education, but I REALLY love the window over your sink!

    ReplyDelete