Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Monday 7 April 2008

Leek spiral pie - strifti (Πρασόπιτα στριφτή)

When I initially started recording my recipes on my food blog, I thought nobody would notice. A few months later, what wonderful food-blogging friends I have made and delicious recipes I have read about.

Here is Laurie's prasopita (leek pie), made as a spiral pie (strifti pita). The recipe calls for thin sheets of filo (phyllo) pastry, leeks, onions, feta cheese and eggs. I substituted the local mizithra for the feta. It can be turned into a lenten pie if you omit the eggs and cheese. The recipe can be found on her page, while the spiral form of the pie was my idea. I brushed it with copious amounts of olive oil - absolute heaven!

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

MORE PASTRY RECIPES:
Kalitsounia fried
Kalitsounia in the oven
Marathopites
Hortopita (spanakopita)
Tiropitakia
Filo-pastry making
Sfakianes pites
Summer kalitsounia
Easter kalitsounia

MORE LEEK RECIPES:
Poached salt cod
Meat in egg-and-lemon sauce
Artichokes in lemon sauce
Leek and potato potage

7 comments:

  1. Bravo, it looks baked to perfection...prasopita is one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it Maria - and I'm also glad I found your blog, which I find endlessly entertaining. I love the spiral form, it looks incredibly good. I'm adding a link to this entry so hopefully others can be inspired by your gorgeous spiral pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you using a new "related posts" thingummy? I don't remember seeing them before. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing this to torment me, aren't you?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spiral pitas are so beautiful!
    I've been reading your blog and I think it is Excellent and passed on the word. If you'd like the badge and are interested in nominating someone else you can get the details on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to have to try this yummy recipe. I sure do like the idea of making a spiral pie. I suppose you could do the same for any filling of your choice.
    Having to watch my cholesterol, I suppose I could use (sparingly) the spray on oil instead of butter, not as tasty but better for me.

    ReplyDelete