Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Sunday 27 July 2008

Devilishly Delicious BBQ Chicken Marinade (Μαρινάδα με μουστάρδα)

BBQ is pretty much standard Sunday fare during the warm season in most Greek households (It would be standard fare all year round in my house if we had a decent BBQ): pork steaks, lamb chops, sausages, chicken meat, all cooked on hot charcoal, leaving behind no mess in or smells in the kitchen.

The standard Greek marinade consists of salt, pepper and oregano sprinkled on the meat, which is usually left to rest in lemon juice. During cooking time, more seasonings are sprinkled on after the meat is brushed with oil to stop it from drying out too quickly while it is cooking. After it's cooked, lemon juice is once again squeezed over the meat.

chicken marinade

Today, I tried a chicken marinade using mustard and Worcestershire sauce, found on a website whose host claims to be a BBQ expert. It's quite unlike any marinade I've ever tried before in the sense that the sauce was quite thick and stayed pretty much glued onto the chicken. What's done is done, I thought, as I applied it on both sides of some flattened chicken pieces. For this reason, I didn't brush all the chicken with the mixture, which is a shame, because the marinated chicken turned out moist and delicious, making the Greek version of chicken BBQ taste drier and blander.

BBQ chicken

The chicken was accompanied by a large garden-fresh Greek salad, and some grilled bread, all washed down with cold beer. We enjoyed it so much that it has inspired us to invest in a better BBQ so that the cook doesn't moan so much. There wasn't any room left for the lovely pepper tart I prepared according to Laurie's recipe, using up all our garden peppers; it will make a perfect evening meal to be enjoyed in the cool night-time breeze on the balcony.

Laurie's pepper tart

11 comments:

  1. Ah very nice...you used phyllo as the tart shell and the chicken marinade sounds good...I love Worcestershire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pepper tart turned out gorgeous - and I'll be interested to hear how/if people liked it. As for chicken, it sounds like the barbecue expert knew what s/he was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW! that meat looks terrific! I rarely use tarragon, and I'm wondering how it tasted in this marinade. Boy, it sure grilled up nicely! And that tart looks heavenly. *sigh* Feed me. Please. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in Greece at the moment, also enjoying evening grilling. I wanted to find out how the chicken is cut up in such nice size pieces to grill with the bone. We've had it a few times at a local taverna and I just cannot figure it out. I noticed it the same in your photos. Can you give me some tips?? As always, your blog is a delight. Thank you. Kαλη Ορεχη!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, interesting. That sauce recipe sounds like a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious meal...too bad it is only breakfats time:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, Do you think one can use it for roast chicken? BBQ is one thing I do not do. If hubby wants to learn, fine, but since he won't, we won't be grilling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an easy tasty marinade for the chicken. I will try this next time we BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do a similar marinade - yours looks good...and that chicken looks so juicy!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria,
    Very tasty looking BBQ Chicken recipe.
    I can't say that I have ever tried Greek BBQ Chicken.And in lemon juice?? Interesting.
    Guess there is a 1st time for everything..
    Thanks for sharing this devilishly delicious recipe. I'll be back to let ya know how it turned out on my end:)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete