Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 15 July 2008

Aleko's tzatziki (Τζατζίκι του Αλέκου)

Although the Greco-Creto cuisine sometimes tires me (as this is all I cook, and what we all eat at home), there are some foods in the Greek culinary repertoire that you can never tire of, having acquired the status of becoming staples in the processed food industry. Tzatziki is one of these foods. I was very proud to see it - even in its packaged form - in the supermarkets I visited in London, as well as in New Zealand when I was there last.

tzatziki with carrot

Here's my favorite version of tzatziki, learnt from Alekos in Elafonisi. He always makes it himself, which is probably why it tastes so good. We are going to enjoy this lovely dip with a whole host of leftovers today: greens beans, chicken stew, zucchini patties, yemista and roasted aubergine (which is extremely easy to make: just roast the prepared aubergine slices for a longer amount of time than you would when making imam baldi).

CIMG4468

You need:
a pot of yoghurt, Greek-style (which means that it's strained of excess liquids, and not runny)
3-6 cloves of crushed garlic (depending on how strong you want it)
a cup of grated cucumber, strained of its juices (do the same to it as for zucchini when making courgette fritters)
a tablespoon of vinegar
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt
pepper - Alekos insists that this is the secret ingredient!
grated carrot and/or purslane leaves (these are my additions when making it at home; they are not traditional, but they make for an extra filling dip)

Use a pestle and mortar to grind the garlic with the salt. Then place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix everything together. Leave the mixture in the fridge for an hour for the flavours to blend well. (And if you don't use a pestle and mortar - I never do - it tastes just as delicious.) And if you like tzatziki that much, you might like to try purslane salad.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

9 comments:

  1. YUM! By looking at the ingredients, I am sure I would never tire of it, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yiasou maria! Your pictures are so appetizing, they make me hungry. You have given me an idea of what to make for dinner. I just hope it tastes as delicious as yours looks. I was also wondering what part of Hania do you live in. Look forward to hearing from you. kali sou mera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that we're on the same wave length with Aleko because I made EXACTLY the same tzatziki with carrots and purslane, only the spices were different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought my first tub of Greek style yoghurt just last week and found it to be delicious.
    Yesterday I bought a large container of vanilla yoghurt,and liking the thickness of the Greek yoghurt, and thinking I could come close to having a similar product,I put it into a coffee filter lined strainer, sat it in the fridge for a few hours and voila! some lovely thick vanilla yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to let you know what a small world blogging creates.
    I found your blog from My Greek Oddessy. My husband of 37 years is from the Island of Ios. We live in America.
    My daughter lives in Seattle, which is a few hours from our home.
    I check Daily photo from Seattle, because we are so familiar with the city.Imagine my surprise when I saw your condolence to "Kim."
    So, anyway, hello from me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Yum! Just look at that feast! Those eggplant look superb! I love tzatziki and have been know to sneak spoonfuls of it! This recipe is different from what I used before in that this one has vinegar in it ... you can bet I'll be trying this soon! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. to all
    i'd like to thank my readers from all over the world, who enjoy a glimpse of some of that old-worldly quality that mediteranean islands still have, depsite modernisation which is inevitable in any case.
    i hope i can impress you with some more insights into the gems my neck of the wood hides

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last night I went to one of our local Greek restaurants. They distribute their tzatziki and hummus as well as rice and potatoes all over the interior or British Columbia...it is just that darn good:D Pretty handy when you want a very quick dip that still tastes homemade:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty much everyone loves homemade tzatziki - it is the perfect combination of flavors. As for factory tzatziki, hmmm, I suppose it's okay if circumstances don't let you make it at home. Even so, I'm always disappointed when we order tzatziki in a restaurant and get the factory stuff.

    ReplyDelete