Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 20 June 2008

Moussaka (Μουσσακά)

Moussaka is so closely connected to Greece in such a way that most people don't realise it exists in the same format in other countries around Greece, most often countries associated with past links to the Ottoman Empire. Recently my students at MAICh had a party in which they presented traditional Egyptian dishes, one of which was eggplant and potato slices baked with mince, with the Egyptian version being more heavily spiced than the Greek variety).



Although I enjoy making a moussaka every now and then, it's another Greek traditional dish that my children eat with difficulty, and I suspect many modern Greek youngsters will have the same opinion. However tasty it is for an adult, it looks too 'brown' and tastes too rich for a child. My I-hate-vegetables son wants me to pick off all the aubergines, whereas my daughter doesn't want the mince. I end up eating their leftovers, without really being able to savour the work of art that I created in the kitchen. In my opinion, moussaka is a 'too-much' food.

It's said that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, and I can tell you that my husband is a great fan of moussaka. This is about the only reason I make it; who's going to finish off the tin I cook? But a wife who wants to keep her husband has to be cruel to be kind: so much oil, so much frying, so much of too much - it can only lead to cholesterol-raising arterial blockage and coronary heart disease. I tell him not to ask so often for moussaka, even though research suggests that followers of the Mediterranean diet in Southern European countries suffer the least from diet-related heart problems. Tsk, tsk.

A friend of mine told me about his hilarious adventures when he first came out to Paleohora, having decided to rent out rooms to tourists and run a restaurant in the village, as it was back then in the mid-1970s - his was one of the first eateries in the undeveloped coastal rural town that Paleohora once was.

"I was well versed in the Greek cuisine, having worked elsewhere in the restaurant trade for many years. Coming to Paleohora, I realised that what the mild-mannered English and German tourists wanted when they came to Paleohora in the summer was to savour what they thought of as the authentic Greek lifestyle: the slow-paced ignorant locals, the alluring sun and sea, along with authentic Greek peasant cuisine (if those two words can go together). So my wife and I decided to serve only traditional food in the restaurant.

"I found a wine merchant who supplied me with the best marouva (a local variety of wine) you could find in the area, a more expensive variety than others available on the market at the time. The tourists would order it, but they wouldn't drink it, and I'd be chucking away gallons of it sitting undrunk in their glasses. I realised that they were used to classifying wines into reds and whites, something totally foreign in the Cretan wine sector. As soon as I bought in second grade varieties, which could only be distinguished by their colour, the tourists started ordering a second carafe. 'Very good local wine,' they'd say to me, and I'd just answer back, 'Yes, I made it myself from my own grapevines,' and of course they believed me!

"Then there was the salad oil. We used only local olive oil in all our food, and Paleohora olives make some of the best grade of olive oil in the whole country, not just Crete. But Northern Europeans aren't used to mopping up sauces and oil from their plate with freshly baked bread - they were used to sliced bread anyway - so the oil would just remain in the salad bowl, uneaten, wasted. I stopped buying the best grade, and found a cheaper alternative. It too went to waste in any food that required olive oil as a dressing. So I stopped dressing the salads, and just left a small bottle on the table. I watched the tourists pouring a couple of drops of oil over their salad, and I realised that they simply weren't used to using oil any kind - as much as we are. Olive oil only started to be sold relatively recently in their supermarkets; they used to buy it as an exotic highly priced item from pharmacies in their own country.



"We cooked all the traditional Greek foods: pastitsio with spicy mince and creamy sauce, yemista doused in tomato and olive oil, boureki with staka butter, moussaka with fried potato and aubergine slices. In the beginning, I couldn't understand why most people left most of their meal on their plate. Were the servings too large? Was there something wrong with the food? I realised after a couple of seasons that those tourists had been seeing pictures of Greek food in books, and they knew what to expect, but what they didn't know was that it would be so heavy on their stomach. I dry-cooked the mince in the pastitsio; they licked their plate. I stopped dousing olive oil over the yemista and just cooked them in water; they loved them. I stopped adding staka to the boureki: 'yum yum', they kept telling me. I didn't bother frying the aubergine and potato slices in the moussaka; 'mmm, delicious,' they exclaimed, and I'd tell them that the recipe was a very old one from my mother-in-law. That's the kind of bullshit they wanted to hear because it made their holiday take on an exotic appeal. They had no idea what authentic Greek food was; when they were served it, their stomachs couldn't take it."

moussakamoussaka

Having discovered 'authentic Greek peasantry', those tourists went back home and tried to get as close as their knowledge and taste allowed them to the authentic tastes of the Mediterranean kitchen in the backwaters of Norwich, Nottingham and Northampton. The BBC - the purveyor of independent objective news coverage - does a fantastic job of deconstructing moussaka (and other foreign cuisine), genetically modifying it - in the cultural sense - for the British palate:
Hear ye, hear ye: if you insist on calling something moussaka, at least make it look like moussaka; but have you ever wondered what the first moussaka in the world might have looked like?

Having had a look at things from the tourists' point of view, I don't understand all the fuss made about moussaka either. For a start, it's traditionally associated with summer when the beautiful purple globes are at the height of their production. Eggplant needs to be cooked in olive oil to bring out its maximum flavour; fried food in the summer is exactly the opposite of what you should be eating in hot weather. Slices of fried aubergine, slices of fried potato, a spicy tomato sauce mince, topped with a custardy bechamel sauce: all of which frazzle the cook, heat up the kitchen and clog your arteries. It's just the wrong food for this time of year.

moussaka

So my advice to you is: don't cook moussaka in the summer. Save it for the winter: the laiki open-air market is full of greenhouse grown aubergine at that time. When you cook moussaka, don't fry the vegetables: you'll be all the more healthy for it. And if you have children, don't bother making moussaka at all: you'll have to eat it for days to get rid of it. If there's a moral in this story, it's something like 'don't cook moussaka'; it's not good for you. (But if you really must cook it, you can use this recipe, written by someone who makes moussaka in its season and freezes it. And when you do cook it, if it doesn't all get eaten in one sitting, it freezes well cooked in individual servings.)

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

11 comments:

  1. Maria, getting good aubergines (ripe, but firm) can be tricky in the UK, and in that case roasted/grilled aubergine slices in olive oil (either in a jar or from the deli counter - I used the latter) can be a surprisingly good alternative. I LOVE Greek food, and I've had 'proper' moussaka in Greece many times, but find it way to filling and rich to my taste most of the time. This 'cheat's' version was much more palatable in my opinion. I still had the lovely meat, aubergine, cheese combination that is so tasty.
    Trust me, there was no need for a vomit-bag..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi pille,

    actually i mentioned the vomit bag because in greece, it would simply be unheard of to use aubergines from a can or jar - except if a foreigner buys it because they were used to it from their own countries, or because they can't fathom scooking form scratch - and as my blog concerns mainly cretan food, i mentioned it as a joke, more to make a point of the BBC's frequent first-page top-10 google search hits on most food topics, even though they are not using genuine sources.

    greece is one of those countries where most people cook from scratch, while britain is at the extreme end - they buy ready meals, ready salads, ready-everything, something we joke about in greece.

    i also realise that in some northern european countries, a lot of people find greek food far too rich for them, as i mentioned in the moussaka post, just like the average greek would find a lot of northern european foods too bland. i base my ideas on my very traditional husband who shirks at the thought of eating anything that isnt faintly reminiscent of cretan cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria - I can very well 'fathom' cooking from scratch. I grew up in a country, where until 1990s you couldn't really buy any pre-made produce and had to cook everything from scratch anyway. And now, where the shops look like those anywhere else in the EU, we still pick wild berries and mushrooms from a forest, grow our own fruit and vegetables or buy them from a market.
    I agree, the Brits (I lived in the UK for 7 years, but have now happily been at home again for almost 2 years) eat a lot of ready-made and processed food, something I never really got used to.
    But I still think there's a place for grilled aubergine slices in olive oil :) (And mine weren't from a jar, but from one of those big containers at a local Middle Eastern delis).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, force your kids to eat Greek foods like Moussaka. You'll leave them with a "footprint" of what good Greek food is all about and they will thank you later for it.

    As for the various versions of Moussaka, our family's always omitted the potato and of late, broiling or grilling the eggplant makes it lighter and therefore, the Bechamel is guilt free.

    As for using jarred eggplant, surely there's a supply of imported eggplant in the UK and the jarred variety could be avoided at all costs. London is full of Greek & Cypriot restaurants and I doubt jarred eggplant is a staple of their kitchen.

    Pille might have enjoyed this version but if served to a Greek, I'm afraid the Moussaka would be politely, grudgingly swallowed.

    A Greek dish such as Moussaka should be treated with more respect that to make it with jarred aubergines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moussaka is one of my favorites but outside of MIL...no one else eats it yet. I made it once last year for the kids and as you suggested, it bombed. They were so disgusted. I know that they'll learn to eat it in time. I have to admit that before I lived here I couldn't wait to eat moussaka in the summer, when I was visiting. And yes, it was way too heavy but I had to have my authentic fill since I was here. Oh- and it was usually made by MIL or we'd go to a restaurant that our family has frequented for years, no imitations for us, no thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love moussaka but i never dared making one even if we have abundant aubergine in the southern region of france :-) your photos of moussaka looks absolutely delicious...i cant get it out of my head

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just commenting to note that, while I've never had moussaka, I almost never fry my eggplant anymore. In summer I cook it outside on the grill, brushing it with olive oil on both sides. In winter I usually bake it in the oven... again, brushing it with oil on both sides.

    Sometimes I roast it in the oven, like when I make baba ganoush or roasted eggplant soup.

    Eggplant just absorbs too much oil for me to fry it often.

    Sometimes I like to cook sliced eggplant and freeze it to use in the fall or winter. Perhaps I will do this with some eggplant this year, and make a winter moussaka!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that these comforting foods are best left for the cold winter months when we need our food to "stick to our ribs" for warmth. In the meantime I will try some eggplant rolls on the BBQ:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post, and interesting comments. When I make moussaka, which I only make at home maybe once a year for all the reasons you say. When I do make it, I do it in individual-sized pottery baking dishes and freeze what I don't need that night to use on days when I need an easy meal. Otherwise, we are overwhelmed by moussaka leftovers, which is not something worth making in small quantities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been a huge fan of moussaka (or pastitsio, or even lasagna, for that matter). It can be tasty and it is "comfort" food, but it's such a pain to make that we only had it rarely (I can really only remember my mother making it twice), and Chris and I are still on the fence about eggplants (which are available in the stores here, but not every day, and if they are they're usually all bruised up).

    I can sympathize with the tourists - I had a hard time digesting all of my aunt's ladera...I think the only reason I didn't come home from that holiday as big as a house was because I went swimming every day at Kalamaki!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made moussaka several times and I like it, but I have made modifications to the recipes. Since we are not in Greece and Olive Oil is very expensive, I reduce the amounts that I use. For example, I cook the eggplants on a flat griddle so that the oil runs off and not much is required, this makes the dish not as rich, but still delicious. When we were in Greece recently, I became aware of the amount of Olive Oil and seasonings used via my several visits to the bathroom and how I had imagined myself to be a consumer of 'rich' foods. I discovered that while, I still use cloves, cinnamon, oregano, olive oil, etc, the key is moderation.

    ReplyDelete